11 March 2007

Documentation Generation in .Net 2.0

I found out that generating chm documentation from xml code comments in .Net 2.0 is not as easy as it was before. Thing is that NDoc has not been upgraded. Although it is available an NDoc2.0 alpha version, the product does not seem to be maintained.

Apparently, this is due to the throw of Sandcastle, the Microsoft's official documentation compiler (which is also included in Visual Studio's SDK Feb 2007). Though the documentation generation using this tool involves several steps, some of its users have already published scripts and tools that automate this task.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wrote a tool that integrates Sandcastle into Visual Studio 2005: DocProject. Unfortunately, try as I might, Microsoft has yet to add DocProject to their list of community tools. Don't ask me why, because I have no idea. It seems that some of the tools in that list haven't been updated since August of 2006 :)

PabloDG said...

Hi! Too bad for NDoc to die.
I found Sandcastle Help File Builder to be quite a straightforward replacement for NDoc(http://www.codeplex.com/SHFB). Saludos!